About Me

My photo
I'm a dedicated Australian educator living and working in Austria. I love to innovate - technology integration and children's literature are my two current passions! @LouMKemp

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Roguishness

Spring here in Europe is awesome. A return to colour, smiles on people's faces and an end to the collective Winter grumps. The days get longer and there's time to do things in daylight before and after school. Things become a bit more lighthearted, the way they're supposed to be.

Spring is also a great time at work. By this time of the school year, my kids and I know each other well and we have built a strong rapport. We know each others' limits and expectations and generally, the classroom is a pretty comfortable place to be. The cool part of this is that by this time of year I also know the things that make individuals in the class really excited; I have a much better idea of how to tap in to what it is that the children are passionate about, or more likely to be passionate about.

For whatever reason, Spring is when I'm at my most creative. I'm feeling good and wherever I look, there's inspiration for something to write, make, think or talk about. Spring is when I want to try fun new things, play, make big messes and go where our questions take us.

The killer is that this is also the time of year that we teachers are hurriedly reviewing the curriculum to make sure that we have 'covered' all the stuff, and are on track to 'cover' all the rest of the stuff before the Summer. A small part of me dies every time I think 'outcomes'. And 'data'! Conversations about
data make me want to stick a fork in my eye.

Yes, data is valuable. It's useful. It helps to inform my teaching. I gather it every day, in various forms. But I did not become a teacher because I had a passion for data. Nor do I think that a data-obsessed culture is going to produce critical, creative, passionate lifelong learners. And it ain't a recipe for inquiry learning.

All these are perfect ingredients for my 'Argh! I'm doing something awesome' soup. I'm going rogue. And I'm taking the iPads with me.

(...and yes, I'll get the report writing done as well...) Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment