About Me

My photo
I'm a dedicated Australian educator living and working in Austria. I love to innovate - technology integration and children's literature are my two current passions! @LouMKemp

Thursday 24 April 2014

Some cool teaching moments. Thanks, iPad trial :).

I have already posted about it, but I just want to celebrate the awesomeness that is teaching with tablets. I know everyone's preaching it and I'm sure there is a bunch of you out there rolling your eyes at this 'latest trend', but having 1:1 iPads has transformed teaching and learning in our classroom.

My students are Minecraft crazy. I wouldn't have know that if we hadn't taken a gamble and put it on the kids' iPads. We haven't even gotten around to using Minecraft in class yet, but it has already provided the fodder for our best discussion in class this year. Yesterday morning in class, one of my students asked if he could present his passion project. 'It'll take like, 10 minutes, Miss Kemp', he said. 45 minutes later, the children were still going strong, discussing the ins and outs - the best materials for building various kinds of buildings, the best strategies for vanquishing baddies, etc, etc. How's that about learning?
Well.
Most of my students are not native English speakers, so this discussion gave them the opportunity to use subject specific technical vocabulary in an authentic context. The child who presented managed questions and guided the discussion without adult interference. Nobody needed prompting. The children practised appropriate etiquette for participating in a large discussion.
Thank you, iPads, and thank you, home learning.

Blended learning. It's really happening. At the beginning of the school day, we talk through the various projects/tasks that the children can work on. At the moment, there's an extended Maths PBL task, and a narrative writing task, as well as preparation for their Student Led Conferences next week. Incorporated into the mix are also shared and independent reading times, small group instruction (Maths and Language mini-lessons) with me and any other smaller tasks that come up. Keeping in mind the necessity of balancing screen time with other activities, the children manage these tasks on their own. The quality of the work the children are producing is high - they're engaged, they're interested and they have the control (most of the time). I feel like I am teaching much more effectively, because I'm not stuck out the front with my whiteboard markers - I'm sitting down with the kids, working with them side-by-side. For specific skills and content that have to be 'covered', I pull out small groups throughout the day and we talk through it in mini-lessons. So much more time-effective, so much more enjoyable and so much easier to do with iPads on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment